25 March 2011

Flowers and General Misery

I have good news: Daffodils are abloom all over campus.  And they're pretty.  Maybe even cheerful.

In the meantime, school grinds on.  I'm having a horrible time concentrating.  This week was positively grueling, albeit for otherwise good reasons.  I had three job interviews this week, plus I gave a presentation at the CAP Faulty and Student Symposium.  I had a test this week, and I'm in general preparing to submit my thesis for consideration for various awards.  Of course, that's contingent on me actually finishing my thesis, which is becoming a concern because I'm having a horrible time concentrating.  I am encouraged though.  My professors are really supportive, and really when it comes down to it, if I work diligently for the next week and a half or so I'll be set to finish the semester strongly.

I guess in that vein, I have more good news: I still really like my project, and when I can summon the energy to focus, it's really easy to write or design for my thesis.  And my other classes seem to be going smoothly.  Well, the key word is "seem."  I haven't seen grades for any of them, so technically, I have no idea how I'm doing in any of them.  It's a little frustrating that Ball State provides professors with the means to communicate with us about grades, assignments, and other course-related materials instantaneously via Blackboard, but few professors actually use the system to its full potential or even use it at all.  I've heard some complain that it's too complicated, but I've also been in classes where professors have really maximized the potential of the Blackboard website.  My guess is it's "complicated" because it's different, and if a professor actually sat down to learn the program he or she could do it.  I wish more would take that initiative.  Better yet, I wish it were required for professors to use Blackboard to communicate grades, share course documents, and submit assignments.  It would really simplify things, at least for students.

I think I'm getting a little complain-y, so I'll cut myself off here.  Honestly, I'll paint a bleak picture, but things aren't that bad.  Spring is coming, and there are many festivities in the making that will help the last few weeks go quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment